Monday, October 29, 2007

Life's little Ironies


Why do these things happen to me?! I should be used to these highly ironic experiences, shouldn't I? I guess not... because they still freak me out.


This Saturday our Stake had a service project. Being the Activities Co-Chair for my ward, and Greg being on my committee, we went to do our part. The night before, I warned Greg that there was a chance that he met get to meet Mark at the activity. He seemed ok with that and I already had to start working through my breathing. Just the thought of them being in the same room was freaking me out.



So, we walk into the activity and go about building hygene kits and stuffing footballs (don't ask me on that one... ). Everything was going nicely until I noticed Greg had wandered off somewhere. Imagine my shock, surprise, and panic when I saw him over at the table chatting it up with Mark and some blonde chick. I literally had to leave the room for the panic that swept over me. Who is this guy? Why does he delight in torturing me?! I decide to "ignore" the situation and go back to what I'm doing. I then look up and Mark is standing next to me with his cheesey grin and Greg is back chatting with Katrina. Of course my heart skips a beat and I'm at a loss of what to do. Hello? I still love Mark. I still care deeply for him. I still want to talk to him and see how he's doing, really doing. But how can I do that without hurting Greg? Is it possible to love one person and be dating another? There should be some sort of law against that. Anyway, I don't know how to react so I just smile at him and go back to what I'm doing. Greg seems oblivious and is laughing with Katrina in the corner. Soon Greg takes off, goes back to the Mark and blondey table to say goodbye and leaves.



By this point I'm like, "Enough already!" and decide to confront the situation, so I go over and talk to Mark. I have no idea who the blonde chick is but I have my suspicions that she's "that girl". Mark and I chat for a bit and then I turn to her, Jana, and chat about random things with her. After an acceptable amount of time I declare that it's time for me to leave and as I start to walk away, Mark puts his arm around my waist and asks, "So you and Greg, huh?" I nearly chocked. I could feel my face going 70 shades of red as I stumbled my reply, "Uh, ya, I guess. It's not really public knowledge, but ya, I guess." It certainly isn't public knowledge and it wasn't my intent for Mark to be apart of the select few who knew. Then I countered with, "So this (pointing to Jana) is her?" To which he sheepishly grinned and said yes. Jana and I, then, cordially introduced ourselves, at which point I declared that this had been awkward enough for the time being and that I had to go. We all laughed and I left with a hell bent determination to find out how the crap Mark and Greg knew each other.



It seems Jana and Greg's older sister are best friends... old roommates. Greg's known Jana for years and a few weeks ago was his sister's 30th b-day party to which Jana and her boyfriend Mark were invited. I had also been invited, but I unfortunately couldn't make it because I was out in Chicago celebrating Shaunae's 30th b-day. Oh darn, that would have just be so fantastically awkward. I'm sorry I missed that. Anyway, so Greg and Mark met at the party, not making any connections about who each other was. A few days later Greg got a phone call from his sister about a conversation she had with her dear friend Jana. Seems she was remembering that Mark's ex-fiance lives in Greg's ward and wondered if Greg knew her. She thought her name was Michelle. "Holy crap", exclaims Kim, "that's the girl Greg's been dating!" Well, Kim relates this story to Greg and since Greg and Jana are also good friends he calls Jana and gets the story straight from her. Seems they are dating ex-fiances, isn't that funny. So then at the activity Greg, of course bee-lines it for Jana and Mark to "properly" introduce himself. I'm completely unaware of what's going on and being the girl that I am, am HATING Jana. Then I find out she's best friends with my boyfriend's sister. Awkward. Ughh. Well, Greg invited me to family dinner last night and so I'm freaking out because not only am I meeting his family, I'm also "oh you're that girl" to his sister Kim! Goodgrief! Thankfully, everyone was really nice and I introduced myself to Kim followed by a "so I hear we have mutual friends" statement. We then discussed the awkward situation and she was very nice.


I still feel woosy with it all. Couldn't I just have a clean slate and start over in a relationship where Mark isn't somehow not involved? Is it so wrong for me to try to get over him? To move past what we had? I'm trying to. I really am. But just like the kayaking experience, I feel like once again my life's affections are being toyed with. What the crap is going on here?! I'm so tired of drama...

1 comment:

Diana and Scott said...

Meesh, seriously…how is that things like this always happen to you? I can remember quite a few awkward stories somehow all involving you :o). The good part is that they’re usually just stories that we remember and laugh at. Hopefully this will be one of them. I know it’s tough at the moment and I don’t know why it’s happening to you. It sucks, that’s for sure. Maybe it’s to make you stronger, maybe it’s to help you get over the whole Mark situation, maybe another reason? Heck, I don’t know. Heavenly Father has magic ways of making things work out the best way possible.

I think you should write a book.

Thanks for sharing this with me.