Monday, July 23, 2007

Dumb Dog

As you recall from yesterday's blog.....Dad has been digging out the basement windows for egress sized windows. Just as we were getting ready for bed, I could here this plaintive woof outside our bedroom window. I looked and couldn't see Pebbles anywhere so I went into the other bedroom and looked out and there was nothing expect the woof was louder. I told Dad , I think Pebbles fell in the hole. No (scoffingly) he watched me dig it, he has been around it all day. Well, you probably better check....Yes one dog down the hole. With his arthritisis in his hind legs, I wonder how he fell in without hurting himself. He was a grateful dog as Dad lifted him out. Dad said "I probably need to put something over that hole," but he didn't. There is a dark shadow on that side of the house at night and old habits die hard. Pebbles is used to trotting around the house on a well beaten path up against the house. I guess his sight is also failing and so is him memory --so you know it. At 10 pm we were up again getting a dog out of the hole. This time we got the extention ladder and took it apart and laid it across the hole then laid cardboard over that and put chairs around both ends. Today Dad dug the other hole and made sure the hole was covered before he quit work. Lessons learned by us----not necessarily the dog. Thanks for the details of your trip home Kathy. Fire is a scary thing. We are so glad you are okay. Love you all, MOM

No comments: